Your Ticket to Fun in Albany
- Where is the Albany Welcome Center & Visitors Bureau located?112 North Front Street in between the Hilton Garden Inn and Flint RiverQuarium and right next to Turtle Grove Play Park on the Flint River.
- Where did the “turtles” come from around town? In 2003 the Junior League of Albany had a fundraising campaign to build the Turtle Grove Play Park at RiverFront Park. They sold the turtle statues to businesses that then had them painted and put on display around town. Currently the Leadership Albany class of 2008 has taken on a project to refurbish the turtles.
- How can I place my event on the Southwest Georgia Events Calendar? On the Albany Convetion & Visitors website, www.VisitAlbanyGA.com, you will see a listing for the Events Calendar. Click the listing and at the top of the page you click on “submit your event”. Once your event has been submitted it has to go through the approval process and should be posted within 24-48 hours.
- Where is Radium Springs? From Downtown Albany, if you go south on Radium Springs Road then Radium Springs will be on your right and Holly Drive is on your left. One of Georgia’s Seven Natural Wonders, Radium Springs Garden pumps 70,000 gallons of clear, 68-degree water per minute from an underground cave. Walk through a courtyard where the former Radium Springs Casino once stood, enjoy foliage-draped hillocks, crystal clear waters and flora both indigenous and exotic. The park features a restored terrace, new sidewalks, a casino garden and gazebos.
- How far is the RiverWalk? If you start at the trailhead below the Flint RiverQuarium and take it to Cleve Cox landing it is 2.6 miles. Future plans are to build a connector bridge to Chehaw and also extend it south to Albany State University and Radium Springs Gardens. The official name of the trail system is Greenway Trails.
- What is the significance of Ray Charles to Albany? Ray Charles, dubbed the Godfather of Soul, was born September 23,1930 as Ray Charles Robinson in a section of Albany, GA then known as “Flower City” (a pecan grove on Highway 300) to Bailey Robinson, a mechanic/handyman, and Aretha Robinson, a sawmill laborer. The entertainer then moved and grew up in Gainesville, Florida. Charles’ 1960’s hit “Georgia on My Mind” became the state song and he came back to Albany for concerts in 1979, in the 1980’s and 1991. In 2002 he donated $3,000,000 to Albany State University for the new Fine Arts Building to be constructed on campus. Charles died on June 10, 2004 and was memorialized with a park on Front Street in Albany, GA. The park features a life size bronze sculpture of Ray sitting at his piano.
- Is the Albany Welcome Center haunted? In June of 2009 the Dougherty County Paranormal Investigators performed an investigation in the Historic Bridgehouse/Albany Welcome Center and found spiritual activity. Other investigations are being administered in Downtown Albany and plans are to create a ghost tour in the future.
- Where is Sherwood Church and where was the movie “Fireproof” filmed? The church is located at 2201 Whispering Pines Road in Albany, GA. All four of their films (“Flywheel”, “Facing the Giants”, “Fireproof”, and “Courageous”) were shot in and around Albany, GA. The Albany Welcome Center offers a self-guided tour of filming locations to visit, so stop by today.
- Where can I buy Albany souvenirs? The Albany Welcome Center offers a gift shop full of Albany goodies and products made in Albany or produced by people from Albany. You can also browse some of the inventory online at www.VisitAlbanyGA.com and we will ship the products to you.
- Does anyone offer welcome bags for local events? The Albany Convention & Visitors Bureau offers welcome bags to any event that produces hotel room nights in Albany. Call the office at 229-317-4760 at least 15 days before the event and we will prepare bags with visitor guides and an Albany souvenir for the guests. The Albany Convention & Visitors Bureau can also help planners in finding hotels, event facilities and caterers. Give us a call today!