Albany, Georgia - Open for Business
Posted on 7/30/2020 by Shelby Nichols
We may still be learning to live in a new normal, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t fun to be had! Check out these family-friendly ideas to keep the good times rolling in the Good Life City—Albany, Georgia.
- Chehaw Park & Zoo is a great way to get the whole family out for a fun and unique day in town. The zoo is home to 125 different animal species, offering an experience that gives you an amazing bang for your buck, as admission cost is only $11.50 for adults and $7 for children 4-12. Admission to the zoo includes access to the 700-acre Chehaw Park, an excellent place to have a picnic, play disc golf or hike and bike.
- Looking to beat the infamous South Georgia heat, but still enjoy the Great Outdoors? Cool off as you float the Flint with Kayak Attack Adventures, offering one to seven-hour kayak and canoe trips or paddle upstream to explore the quieter Kinchafoonee and Muckalee Creeks.
- If air conditioning is calling your name, seek refuge in the Flint RiverQuarium. With more than 120 different animals on-site, there is plenty to see. In addition to fabulous sea creatures, don’t miss the Imagination Theater! Shows like Sea Lion Rescue and Watermelon Magic are played Thursday-Saturday. See the full schedule for shows here.
- Another indoor attraction with plenty of sights is the Albany Museum of Art. View three brand-new exhibits, including: JUAN LOGAN: creating & collecting, Works by Brian Willmont, and Vibrations of Pasaquan—not to mention a must-play children’s area. This free attraction is an incredible asset to the community and not to be missed!
As we continue moving forward, restaurants in Albany are doing their part to take precautions to make sure that their business is doing all it can to keep guests safe. The 2020 COVID-19 Restaurant Employee Training Program reflects governmental guidelines provided by the State of Georgia. A business becomes COVID-19 certified when all employees complete the training program. So far, fourteen local restaurants have completed the program and received their seal! Many other restaurants in Albany are also working toward this fantastic achievement. You can view the full list of certified restaurants here. Take a look at a few of the program’s most recent graduates:
- The Cookie Shoppe – A staple in Downtown Albany for over 27 years, the amazing food combined with the steadfast leadership of owner, Mona Munir, makes this a must-taste for families. The sandwiches are delicious, the cookies are a must, and the baklava, well...let’s just say you’ll probably buy some just to have for a delicious midnight snack. We don’t blame you one bit. Been there!
- The Catch Seafood Room & Oyster Bar – The Catch is a fine-dining experience worth every single penny. From the Lobster Eggrolls to the Smothered Grit Cakes, this restaurant knows how to serve up some delicious eats. Save room for dessert, the blueberry cake is truly life changing. Don’t believe us? Go try it!
- Mi Casa Mexican Restaurant – Albany’s newest Mexican restaurant has set up a mouthwatering menu filled with all your favorite dishes; but there are a few that have us coming back for more, like the Molcajete, a grilled chicken, steak, shrimp and chorizo with prickly pear, sweet onions and fried jalapenos in a house sauce with Mexican cheese. Mouth. Watering. Finish the night off with a banana chimichanga, and then make it a weekly tradition. It’s worth it!
Safety is a top concern in the Good Life City. Restaurants, businesses and attractions are doing their part to keep you safe. When you are ready, we can’t wait to welcome you to Albany.